What does it mean to “try” to do something? I personally feel it doesn’t mean much of anything. Why? Because the word “try” is…
I mean, I can understand trying to accomplish a goal. For example, I’m currently trying to become financially independent. But can I try to do the things to accomplish that goal or do I simply do them? Do I try to write every day? Do I try to limit my spending? Is it possible to try to be content with my progress?
I would argue I’m either doing these things or I’m not. To say I’m trying to do any of these things is almost a passive excuse when I’m not actually doing them.
This isn’t even about confidence. I just don’t see the point of trying. Trying won’t get me anywhere. Doing, on the other hand, will at least get me somewhere.
Realistically, I have never ended up where I thought I’d be.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a comic book artist.
When I was a teenager, I wanted to be a journalist.
When I was in college, I wanted to be a programmer.
When I was in my 20’s, I wanted to be rich (ugh).
When I turned 30, I wanted to be happy.
Weird how that last goal was the only one that came to fruition.
My point is none of us know where we’re going to end up. But if we keep “doing” instead of “trying”, we’ll find our destination. You may not know you wanted it, but you will certainly get there. All you have to do is be happy with where you are or keep doing until you reach that happy mindset.
As long as you’re not trying to be happy.
Other Random Thoughts
- I’ve been slacking off on working out and eating well since I hurt my shoulder. Maybe publicly tracking that will keep me on point like my writing.
- I see a big hippie revival happening in certain parts of the US. That’s pretty awesome.
- I’m a big fan of skill. I can be appreciate anything if I can see it performed skillfully.
- I’m going to return to being vegan for a while, but I’m going to do it slowly by giving up one thing every month. Cheese is definitely the last on that list. I just want to see how long I’ll last.
- I miss summers as a kid where it felt like there were no responsibilities and I could just waste away my days. I want that again.
- Peanut butter is awesome.
Peace out, party people.